Friday, April 17, 2009

Let Me Call You Sweetheart


In a sermon I heard not long ago, a Mennonite Preacher recalled how his own Grandparents behaved towards each other, even in their old age. He said; "They were so kind, and loving towards each other... like two old *sweethearts*. He went on to describe their behavior towards each other as *unselfish, tender, and thoughtful*.


I've put a lot of thought into the subject of marraige and aging since that sermon. Ok, let me be direct; I've put a lot of thought about MY marriage and aging since then! This verse immediatley comes to mind:

EPH 5:22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.


That sounds very balanced and equal to me. My Grandmother quoted it as; "Wives, show all respect to your husbands, and husbands likewise!"... of course she was paraphrasing. But it sure makes sense.


I'm watching my parents and in-laws age. I can sense the defiance they all posess at becoming *the elderly*, just as they watched their parents do the same. But something my family all has come to treasure in their golden years is their relationship with their spouse. They become cemented over time, and stand together as a united front against what time ebbs away. And most of all; they are loving & respectful towards each other. It is a blessing to witness this love, open affection, and know it doesn't have to be lost just because ones hair turns gray, or crows feet appear.


I admit; it must be a struggle to keep your inner sweetheart alive, when your challenged with physical and maybe some mental decline. But in keeping that reverence for each other, you have something that noone can take from you. As a couple you retain a lively part of your youth, simply by holding hands, or giving your spouse a peck on the cheek. I cannot imagine a day when I would not feel loved, and valued from such actions, can you? May we all press on, and love our spouses with the same enthusiasm now and tomarrow as we did when we first married. Let us be known as *those old sweethearts* to our children, so they may do the same. Amen?




2 comments:

Keeper of the Home said...

This was truly beautiful! I am so touched.

Unknown said...

Well, THANK YOU! I hope to grow old gracefully with my sweetheart and wish the same for you sister!