Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Aunt Bee's Letting Her Hair Down


I watched some old black and white episodes of Mayberry RFD this weekend and was thrilled that Frances Bavier, aka; Aunt Bee allowed herself to be filmed with her hair down.
The scene called for it, since she had been rudely awakened in the middle of the night by Gomer.

This is how I remember my grandmothers hair. It was an incredibly nostalgic moment for me. I remembered brushing out Nanny's hair at night, and it was very long, and thick, almost white with a few remaining threads of dark hair remaining.
As a child, I dreamed of the day when I could be a grandmother and pass that same memory on to my grandchildren. At age 7 I was imagining me with long white locks, and granddaughters standing behind me brushing it out methodically. I also had round specticals and an apron on, for effect.
Funny, how history repeats itself. My hair isn't very gray, but it is getting long. I love aprons and have worn glasses for 20 years.
I was also impressed with the church-scene where Andy, Opie and Aunt Bee are all at church, and I noticed every woman had their head covered. Has it been THAT long ago? Perhaps.
I personally love hats, and where them often, whether to church or any place else.
It's every bit as much a covering as a veil in my opinion. If it weren't, why don't men where them in church?
Well, it's nice to be able to look back at life through the rose colored glasses of Mayberry.
Food for thought.
K.

No comments: