Tuesday, March 16, 2010

He Saved Me Too!

If you've been following along with the previous posts, and even if you haven't, I want to stress this: Jesus saved me. Not the church, not the Mennonites, and not religion.


All the details of a lot of my posts are to explain how I got to where I am *spiritually*, and what propegated, cultivated, and instigated my spiritual decisions that lead me to this awkward place that I now thrive in.


Many of my friends don't really *get it* and chalk it up to my quirky nature. My family doesn't really understand it either, but they all make impressive attempts to accept me as I am, which is all anyone really wants. What's not to love about that???


But the bottom line is; I came to Jesus as a broken, outcast, arrogant, opinionated sinner who knew her way of doing things was getting her nowhere. I knew what the final outcome was. I knew what would happen if I died without repentance and acceptance of Christ as my Savior. I had a LOT to repent of too, but trusted God was bigger than any poor choice I could possibly make, and was eager to forgive me. God is always eager to pick you up, dust you off, and set you on your feet agian... no matter how many times He has to do it.


So, while my roadmap to Jesus may be a little off the beaten path, and may even seem peculiar to many, it's how I got here. Isn't being here all that matters?


For those who are curious about *Plain Living*, I have thought long and hard about what I would do differently, if given the chance. Here's what I suggest: PRAY ABOUT IT. Ask God to show you every step of the way, and to open your husbands heart as well about any lifestyle changes. GO SLOW. Do not try to emulate others because you've read all the Titus 2, & Proverbs 31 material, you can get your hands on. Maybe your the one who wants to leave everything worldly behind and start a new life? Well, it's still important to let the Holy Spirit lead you in all your decisions, and not get caught up in simply *being plain*. It's too easy to loose sight of why your doing what your doing if you do it all at once. Really, get on your knees, and ask God to guide your every choice. Start with modesty and then God will lead you to the place where you, your family and God are most happy!




God plucked me out of some pretty murky waters and set me on dry land. A good, firm land with a strong foundation. I am confidant he'll do the same for you and those you love. Just ask Him. But He wants an obedient child, and He honors obedience. Too much of this world's message is about pleasing self. That isn't what The Bible teaches. We are to die to *self*. Being obedient isn't easy. And staying humble is key.

If anyone serves Me, he must continue to follow Me [to cleave steadfastly to Me, conform wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying] and wherever I am, there will My servant be also. If anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him. John 12: 26


It is through Him that we have received grace (God's unmerited favor) and [our] apostleship to promote obedience to the faith and make disciples for His name's sake among all the nations. Romans 1: 5

For just as by one man's disobedience (failing to hear, heedlessness, and carelessness) the many were constituted sinners, so by one Man's obedience the many will be constituted righteous (made acceptable to God, brought into right standing with Him). Romans 5: 19


Continually surrender yourself and your carnal nature to God and let Him show you what He desires for you.

I hope this is a help for the seeker and confirmation for those who follow Christ selflessly.

In the meantime, Reading Resources for those who are seeking:

http://www.elcristianismoprimitivo.com/english_index.htm
Primitive Christan's

http://www.anabaptists.org/education.html
The Anabaptist Bookstore Online

http://www.eaf.net/cgi-bin/webbbs/seekers/seekers.cgi
The Seekers Refuge (A good place to ask questions and get genuine answers to all things Anabaptist)

http://www.anabaptists.org/history/index.html
Anabaptist History

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or need prayer.

Your Sister In Christ,

Kelly

4 comments:

MaryMartha said...

Hi Kelly,
I enjoy reading the details you are sharing from your faith journey! My own pathway has been long with several unhappy, unhealthy detours. I am so glad to be more settled now. What a wonderful Savior, Friend, and Guide we have in Christ!

For me, the huge thing I admire about the Mennonite/Amish believers is their commitment to peace. For some this means a stand against war and violence in all forms; for others, not so. But as far as I can tell, for all, it means living in relationship with God and with others, the latter marked by love and forgiveness. I have been so moved by the accounts of the Nickel Mines school shootings in PA several years ago. What grace that community gave as a witness! Hereafter, they will be known for that as much as being "plain," I think.

Keep blogging! MM

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

You know, I am a Member of the Mennonite Central Committee and they are not *plain*. Now, some conservative Menno's argue that they are not REAL Anabaptists because they were modern clothing, cut their hair (women) and wear make-up. But I see them excercising the love of Christ so fervently everytime there is a disaster. That isn't to say that others don't- But their primary focus is PEACE. People forget that the rest is peripheral issues that probably don't have a thing in the world to do with our salvation.

Only God knows their heart. I would think someone would only be in sin if they were knowledgable, and convicted- yet choose against following that conviction.

I know others think differently... I appreciate their stance on Peace.

As far as The Nickel Mines tragedy-I admire people of faith when they truly excercise it and this was indeed a test of that faith.

Blessings!!

Kelly

Fanny said...

Hi Kelly, I found your blog somehow by accident, and I am so glad I did. I have been researching the Mennonites for awhile now, and I LOVE what I have learned about them. I really want to meet them and fellowship with them also some day. I don't have any in my area right now. I have been struggling so in this area though, as my husband and family don't see things like I do! I would easily become plain and live their lives if it was just me, but I cannot. I would love to talk to you more since we seem to have alot in common. I am enjoying reading your journey!