Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Simplicity Simplified


Simplicity is no more than the absense of confusion.
While we all strive to declutter and simplify our lives, you may look around at your home and not *feel* the simplicity.

Do you feel distracted by having too many items displayed or do they belong together and make sense? Do they serve a purpose?
As you clean up your home, start with putting away anything on counters, (pill bottles, pens, crochet hooks, etc..) and put them away wherever they belong. Maybe now is the time to make a special bin for your crocheting hooks and yarn? Label it while your at it and you won't be sorry.
If taking on your whole house at one time is overwhelming, try it room by room. Still too much? Divide the room in halves or quarters and work it one section at a time to stay focused. Make a list, and cross it off as you go for a sense of accomplishement.
Some of the most beautifying items I've seen in homes are utilitarian. Kerosene lamps, cleaned with a fresh cut wick...just waiting for a power outage. Pretty plants that are medicinal... Aloe Vera, is an exoctic look in a window. A bundle of wood in a copper pot... winters not quite over. All these SERVE you, you don't serve them by keeping up with them for naught.

Put your thinking cap on and work at making your home serene, & functional by simplifying and limiting the amount of items you keep *just in case*, and the items your keeping for no reason at all. If you haven't used it in a year, chances are you won't use it at all. Give it away... get the tax reciept and appreciate the order.
More to come on simplifiying...
Kelly

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you! Let me tell you this sweetie. When you go from 1200 sq. foot of home to 792, you learn real quick what you can do without. I got rid of many things I never thought I would and it feels great! I only kept the things I really enjoy. A smaller home is also much easier for those of us with differently abled bodies to care for as well. Yep, I love the simpler life and more time outside in the rocker crocheting!

Unknown said...

Sorry I am just now responding.. I totally agree! I went FROM 800 sq ft to over double that. But I inherited a whole lot of my Mothers belongings when she passed away...then her sisters... oh my. I need to purge!! But oh the memories! Well, we all have to do, what we all have to do. I must purge a bit at a time.

thanks for stopping by!!

Kelly