Monday, August 4, 2008

A Homespun Holiday


When people ask me what I want for Christmas, I usually draw a blank. I have no idea what I want because, to be truthful; there isn't much that I need.
When I ask my father this same question, year after year, I am met with the same answer. Apparently we are both blessed with contentment.
So, I began thinking about what really means the most to me at Christmas time? The answer is: Anything that someone put their heart into.
So, with that in mind, I am suggesting a homespun Christmas, just like they did a hundred or more years ago. Ma's and Pa's, sisters and brothers, would work all through the year on a special homemade gift to give to the ones the love. Keeping it a secret was all part of the fun.
I think part of the STRESS of the holidays is the popular concept that we must please the people we love with expensive gifts....something that is on the cutting edge of technology. I have one answer to that: Calculators. No, don't buy them a calculator! Think back...WAY back, when calculators, and digital watches first came out and they cost close to $500.00!! Then the market was flooded with them, and now they sell them at Dollar Tree.
I don't know of anyone who has been given a digital watch, (or other new-fangled gadget) that 10 years later thinks back fondly on the gift and gets it out periodically to reminisce.
But I DO know of homemade gifts that have meant the world to me: Embroidered pillow cases, baby blankets, and tea towels.... quilts, and crocheted afghans that someone spent time on...thinking of me with each stitch.
So, I am suggesting that we all think about projects that MEAN something from you for Christmas, not just something that fills a void. Like we need more stuff???
Quilted potholders... that is my first suggestion! Anyone with basic sewing skills can accomplish these with little money invested.
This is the one in the picture above.
More crafty, frugal ideas coming soon.
Now get sewing! Christmas will be here before you know it!

2 comments:

Paula said...

Thanks for the link! That potholder is so pretty! I am REALLY enjoying your blog!!! :)

Paula said...

I clicked on the link fr the potholder pictured, but I am having a difficult time finding directions (how-to). Can you help me?