Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Halloween & Christians


I'm going to be honest: I don't know where to draw the line at Halloween. Annually, there are internet debates, hurt feelings, and general nastiness over whether Christians are to celebrate various holidays.


Well, Halloween rubs elblows with The Occult and that is my issue with it, not how it started 600 years ago. Frankly, I'm not a pagan, and I don't worship mother earth... I don't dance naked in the moonlight... I just want to eat some candy corn and enjoy the season of harvest.


Yet- There are many who feel even Harvest Festivals are a sin, because they apparently have possible pagan origins. Well, if your giving God the Glory NOW, does it really matter that heathen civilizations didn't hundreds of years ago?

What's wrong with Autumn, Harvest, Sweet-Corn, festivals and letting the kiddo's dress up as bumble bees and pumpkins? I'm genuinely asking. Here's what the Bible says; (thank you Carla),


2 Corinthians 6:14, 19: What do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness...Therefore come out from among them, and be separate."


So obviously, we must stay away from any and all activity that envolves evil and wickedness. This would include scary movies that involve murder-for-entertainment... haunted houses, and costuming that glorifies evil, etc... that's a given, right?


My question to the reader is: how adament are you about Halloween vrs. Harvest? Does your church participate in alternative activities for the children? Do you think *some Christians* are over-reacting, or do you think the issue is glossed over and churches need to wake up?



I'd like to hear your honest opinion... nevermind what I think, because opinions can change. We should be like iron sharpening iron, so let's hear it!

1 comment:

MaryMartha said...

I have shared some thoughts on my "Finding the Faith Way" blog under the title "A Strange Juxtaposition."

In addition, yes, my church (Assembly of God)has an alternate activity for children: "Hallelujah Harvest," (no ugly, scary costumes)with games and contests and then Trunk-or-Treat when the adults open their car trunks and hand out candy.

Other holiday traditions have some "pagan" background too. Are we going to do away with Easter and Christmas as well? I say that we have to find what is appropriate to our personal convictions, being careful not to label other believers as wrong, narrow, liberal, or whatever! MM