Friday, October 2, 2009

Transition To Modesty

Most people have mixed feelings about my wardrobe and my beliefs in general. I would suspect that because of most peoples defensiveness, they think I project my beliefs onto them. That couldn't be further from the truth.


Everyone who becomes a believer in Christ becomes a follower. We learn to follow the Word and thus a transition of the heart begins at the moment we realize we were nothing but dirty rags to begin with, and through the blood of Jesus, we are saved. In other words; We don't deserve it, and there is nothing we can do to earn it.


However, being a Christian is not without responsibility. Some get hung up on GRACE, and while I believe in grace, I don't believe you just pray the prayer and go on about your business. Grace is there to bridge the gap between your weakness and Gods Holiness.



So the subject of dress comes up quite often between family and friends. It is often suggested that I don't need to dress modestly and God doesn't care what I wear. Well, I think God cares about everything! The Bible says so. You certainly don't want to be responsible for causing a brother to stumble do you? Appropriate dress isn't just *suggested* in the Bible.


"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows".
Matthew 10:29-31

Did you know sparrows are mentioned over 40 times in the Bible? God used them as an example that nothing is beyond His concern.... this includes our dress and our intentions.


Which leads us back to dress: Do you really believe God doesn't care what you wear? Now, I am not suggesting a cape dress = salvation. It doesn't make you holy, and the quote from my Mother comes to mind: "Pretty is, as Pretty does". Wearing a cape dress doesn't make you any holier than standing in a garage makes you a car.
But, modest dress is an outward reflection of your desire to honor God. As you progress on your journey heavenward, ask God what he wants of you? What would HE like you to wear?

Trust me,.. He will show you if your heart is open. It may not be a cape dress at all. But it will be modest, and reflect your desire to serve The Lord as you put one foot in front of the other.

Go forth, and serve.

No comments: