Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Bells








I am so amazed... I am listening to the radio, and I hear a song that was written in 1864... by my GGG-Grand-Uncle, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.



My GGG- Grandfather was Stephen Longfellow, Henry's brother, named after their father.


The group singing it is *Casting Crowns*...I'm still in awe as I wonder how this simple message of *PEACE ON EARTH AND GOODWILL TO MEN* has managed to keep resurfacing in a new format. I am resolved to believe the message is eternal and not original to Longfellow. He simply penned it in a way that would make us all stop and remember that God is in control regardless of our circumstances.
Longfellow wrote the poem after several years of hard circumstances. The above picture is of his first wife *Fannie*, and their 2 children. Fannie died after her dress caught fire, and Henry tried in vain to extinguish the flames. He would never be able to shave again, as his hands and were burned so badly trying to help her. Thus the famous beard.
How odd to be connected to such delicate history, no matter how many generations later. How bittersweet to hear the song being sung again, well over a hundred years later.
*And in despair I bowed my head,
"There is no peace on earth", I said
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men."
Then pealed the bells more loud and deep;
"GOD IS NOT DEAD, NOR DOTH HE SLEEP;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With PEACE ON EARTH, GOOD WILL TO MEN."
Simple church bells inspired such moving words. They echo the message of The Gospel.
May they bless you this day.
Kelly


No comments: