Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Pain Of Rejection

Yesterday, I filled out an *application* with a dog rescue group called "DFW Tzus".
I found a dog called *Sha-nae-nae that was just cute as a button, and the application is normal procedure for the adoption/rescue process. I noticed it was a lengthy one and they asked a million questions. Additionally, I had to agree to having them come to my home to make sure it is dog-friendly, and give 2 personal referrences. Not a problem. I also agreed to spend any amount of money for the dogs health, $40.00 every 6 weeks for grooming, and disclosed information about my spouse, and the other animals in the house.
I took the time to mention that I have a 6 ft concrete grounded fence on one acre, and have rescued 4 other animals in the past who now live like royalty. I also agreed to address special needs...


AND- I was rejected! ME! Muttley's Mom! I wrote back to ask if there is a misunderstanding, or something that could be corrected? Never heard back.



My co-worker Jennifer was also rejected by a similar dog rescue group. She treats her dogs like she birthed them herself. She says these *rescue groups* are kind of an elitist group and rather snooty. SO, I'm going to a breeder and buying a dog, no questions asked. Yup! Just give the breeder your $200.oo and walk away with a 6 week old puppy. Piece of cake.



I am still miffed though, because I feel like there are SO many displaced animals who need homes. Rescuing a dog is a good deed. It seems so shallow to just *buy* a puppy. It seems generous and even noble to rescue a homeless dog... a way to perhaps teach others... to lead by example... to be the good guy!


I understand the rescue's policies and their desire to *match* each dog with a good owner. No doubt there are probably people who don't deserve to have these animals. But ME??? Most people want to come back in their next life as one of my dogs! It makes no sense.


The fact that they are not willing to even negotiate any issue is simply thrusting business to the breeders. The rescue dogs are not free. So if they are almost impossible to qualify for, what's the point? Noone wants the criteria for adoption to be lax, but plausible would be a good start.

Off to the breeder!!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

I hope you find a puppy dog to call your own!

That's crazy they make you fill out some application for a dog. I mean, really? Dogs are animals, not humans.
As long as they have a good home, a dog can care less where he or she ends up, know what I mean? None of this 'matching' stuff. That's dumb!

I wonder if I have to fill out an application when me and they hubby look for a kitty. If so, I think I will just pick a stray that comes in my yard and be done with it...lol.

I was in Grandview this past Sunday and last night for Bible study. God willing I will go back this Sunday if all works out this week. There is going to be a fellowship meal after service I was told.

Any plans Saturday? We should still have the rental car, I think, wanna meet somewhere?
Call me!

God Bless,
Dawn

Unknown said...

I wish I could this weekend Dawn... I have a friend moving in Saturday, AND I have to work my Aunts Estate Sale Saturday... (she passed away in May) and then that evening I am going to go to Alvarado to look at the puppy.

I PROMISE I will come see you soon... or meet you at Grandview. Hey, Carla Raley was there last week. Did you meet her???

Blessings,

Kelly

Dawn said...

Yep, I met Carla! :-)

Unknown said...

Carla is a riot. She has kept me sane and grounded for many years now:-)

And she never fails to make me laugh.

I can't wait to go to Grandview with you Sis Dawn!!