Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Rocking The Amish Vote


First, let me say, this story isn't original. The credit and inspiration go to the original publisher. But I did find this story while researching the Anabaptists and statistics on voting.
You see, a number of Mennonites, Hutterites, and Amish believe it is a sin to vote. They link this to biblical scriptures about being separate from this world...being a peculiar people, etc... But there is NOTHING in the Bible specifically against voting. (If you know something I don't know, please provide IN CONTEXT, Book, Chapter and verses pertaining to voting specifically).

I was surprised to find Obama with the Amish. I am not against him personally, nor am I against McCain. Between the two, I find Obama refreshing and a better orator, and more geared towards peace.
McCain has years of experience, but also seems so pro military that I fear a draft, and an even more intense presence in Iraq than we have ever seen. I just don't see an end to it.. Do you?? He seems like a sincere fellow though.
Personally, I am torn about politics in general and have only voted twice in my life. Once for Bush and then again four years later for Kerry, because I believed it was a vote against Bush. While he might have accomplished some good things in office, our health care system is in shambles, and the economy stinks. It may not all be his fault, but didn't Einstein say: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome?"...

So, while I DO believe we are not of this world, we are of Gods, and there should be distinct differences between what Christians do and what the world thinks is acceptable, I don't see where voting is a sin??? I can see where there would be a problem when those seeking office rally for votes THROUGH churches.... I certainly don't want politics preached at church. But if they are kept separate, why wouldn't it be our civic duty to participate just like we pay taxes?
I know a lot of Anabaptists who do vote. I know many who feel like it's an abomination. Yet, the Bible is silent about it. Those same people say God will put in power whoever He decides to. Then explain Hitler please??? God surely didn't place him in power... I have read articles on why Anabaptists shouldn't vote, and I'll admit they are well-written and make good points, but ultimately, where in the Bible does it say it's wrong?
Now, the hardest thing for me as a Christian to do is vote for either Obama or McCain. You see, regardless of who you choose, you have blood on your hands. Obama is pro-choice (including partial birth abortion) and McCain is determined to keep on course with Bush's politics in Iraq. Either way, lives are lost.
One thought on abortion: Christian families will always have the option to raise Godly families and chaste daughters. It's the innocent babies that need protection. But we can do more by offering options, and being proactive with Pregnany Centers than we can trying to eliminate abortion. It's been around for thousands of years. Spiritual education will go further to help our daughters than changing laws. Besides, your not eliminating an option, your just making it illegal. The option still exhists. Prostitution is legal in Nevada... should Christians participate? What's the difference?
So, I'm still torn between voting and not voting, and ripped to shreds over who the best candidate is. Like my cousin said: "I don't even have a dog in this hunt!"... Well, if I do vote, it may just be independant.

2 comments:

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Perhaps a write-in vote: "Jesus Christ is my Commander-in-Chief", that way you're participating in the process as a "good citizen" and also declaring that your allegiance is not to a politician or political party.

"pastor" Jim Thompson said...

Mrs. Hunt,
Here's an article a friend of mine shared with me--thought you might be interested:
http://www.religiousherald.org/2684.article