Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hair, Hair, Hair, Hair!


A home for fleas, a hive for bees, A nest for birds, there ain't no words for the beauty, the splendor, the wonder of my hair... (from the musical; "Hair")
Ok, this may be a good picture, but it definately puts everything in perspective for me when I see it. I had just whacked my locks off MUCH shorter than ever intended for my daughters wedding last year. Talk about mad...but this isn't new to me. For some reason every person who is allowed to cut my hair, (other than Peggy) cuts it up to my ears. ALWAYS. Praise God it's grown about 8 inches since this photo.
So, I haven't cut it since December and only once before that. But here's the delimma: I look HORRIBLE with long straight hair, and always just despair when it starts looking long, stringy and unkept. My Grandmother never cut her hair, and I loved brushing it out for her. It's one of my favorite memories. I dream of passing that along to my grandchildren.
I am trying to let it be my *glory*, except it doesn't resmble anything glorious when it gets past my shoulders. I struggle with this all the time. I WANT long hair, but I just think I look old, and tired with it all one length.
Then last night, I watched the DVD: The Journey Home :
I was so taken by the selflessness of the Mother in the film. It depicts the family in the 1980s, and as they transformed their lives by moving to the country near an Amish settlement and learning to live off the land.
The wife/mother had let her hair grow, and stopped coloring it, and she was 100 times more beautiful like that, than she had ever been all primped up!
So, is it my perspective??? Is it sheer vanity??? (I hate the thought of that... I genuinely try to not be vain). How do you just *let it go*???
I have friends who have done just that. My friend Carla Raley has done it, and she's beautiful. She tells me to simply STOP cutting it at all. Ok, when I do that, it gets all uneven and shaggy.
And every time I get close, I just freak when my gray streaks show up.

I am covering at night and that seems to have helped with the breakage. It's actually past my shoulders now. I can't believe how much it's grown SINCE this picture! But its going to get to that place where I can't do anything with it. It is THEN that I feel like grabbing the scissors and hacking away.
Should I keep my bangs, and let them grow later??? Let them grow, or keep them?? I just don't know??

I ask myself; What would God want? I believe he would like it long. I know Scott would:-)
I would love to hear any suggestions or encouragement (save the finger-shaking, please).
Any ideas of how to manage it in the in-between stages? How to keep it from breaking? Should I just hide all my scissors and mirrors??? (now THAT'S a thought..lol)
HELP!!!
K.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A big hug to Hiedi!! I am over my hair crisis for now. It will continue to grow. lol..

Carla Raley said...

So what did Hiedi tell you?? I can't see her comment!
And hey, I can tell you, God DOES want your hair long, he says so in the Bible!
Hide the sissors, and everytime you want to cut your hair promise to wait a day to pray about it, and see what happens.
And you know, you can always cover it when it gets shaggy, that's what I did! :)
No finger wagging, you already heard everything "I" have to say, huh??? :)

Unknown said...

Carla, Heidi wrote to me offlist.

I know...I know.. I didn't cut it at all fro 4 months. I trimmed my bangs because I just can't stand them in my face and can't do anything about them until my hair gets a wee bit longer. I PROMISE not to cut it without praying first. YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO ME and my hair has grown at least 8 inches since the picture on this blog was taken. Thank you so much.