Thursday, April 10, 2008

Just A Bit About Me....:-)


Welcome to my blog!

Just a bit about me; I am 40-something, married for 13 years to a wonderful, encouraging, loving, kind, funny, and handsome husband who is an inspiration to me.

We have 5 children and 6 grandchildren all spread out from Texas to Ohio and even sprinkled in Washington. We love them all fiercely!
How did I become Anabaptist you ask?? In a nutshell: 15 years ago I was living in Ohio, and met a Mennonite lady. We became friends. Up to this point in my life, I thought there were only 2 options; Protestant or Catholic. I had almost given up on the whole church experience at this point and was dating the Stage Manager for a touring, headlining band...living large!!
She explained there is a 3rd way, and invited me to her very conservative church.
I grew up with Pentecostal Grandmothers, and thought I had seen the extreme of conservatism. WRONG! But what a lovely group of believers!
The thing that set them apart from most churches I had visited, besides the headcoverings and beards, (ok, suspenders too) was their lack of judgement towards me and my modern dress, and short hair. I have rarely experienced this in a conservative church.
So upon my return to my home State of Texas, and consequent marriage to the Stage Manager, I looked in the phone book and low and behold, I found there were many Mennonite Churches listed! I visited several, and found there were *sub-denominations* within the Anabaptist heading. Some are less conservative. I began studying the Anabaptist's, and that was 15 years ago. I haven't stopped!
My husband and I weren't serving The Lord when we met, and we knew from previous experiences that without God in our lives, a decent marraige was unlikely. We both gave our lives to God.
In Texas we joined Hope Mennonite Church, which was not conservative, but a very kind congregation. Most had originally been raised conservative, and for whatever reason, chose a more progressive lifestyle. We stayed with the church until it went through a split, and dissolved several years later. I am still considered a Member of the Mennonite Church, and have the papers to prove it:-) I have held out a ridiculous amount of hope for a church *plant*, but it is unlikely. I must move forward and bloom where I'm planted.
Over the years I have become convicted to practice headcovering, per 1 Corinthians 11, and modest dress. What a REFORMATION!! I do not wear any specific style of dress, or covering.
I have made so many *plain* friends over the Internet and from my travels, that I have become somewhat of a Goodwill Ambassador between the Plain Anabaptists, and the not-so-plain. I moderate on several Internet groups for like-minded people, and spend as much time as I can in my travels with my Anabaptist and other like-minded Christian friends.
I hope my *transformation* from "wild-child", to; "child of the King" can be an inspiration to someone, somewhere, whatever denomination you are. There will only be one in heaven.
Blessings-
Kelly

6 comments:

Chris said...

Hello Kelly,
It will be fun to follow your blog-glad to see you found a non-judgmental group right away-they are not ALL that way, but we have to have grace for them-they have some very hard things to overcome in their lives-very strict man-made laws for many groups-not many living in true freedom.
Glad to have you in the blogging world
Hugs
Chris

Heidi said...

You go girl!

Christie said...

Hi Kelly,

Sounds like a great blog. Looking forward to reading more!!!

The Mom said...

A woman after my own heart... Years and years of friendship and one day we have GOT to get together f2f. Lots of love, Janet

Unknown said...

Thank you all...

Chris, your right! I have experienced both over time. Some people just don't seem to have a sense of humor, and often lack patience and compassion.

Janet- Yes mam! We sure do! I thank you for your support over the years.

PUMPKIN SPICE: You rock. I adore you and hope to come to NYC and hang with you and the gang.

Christie- Bless you sister!! Your an angel.

Dawn said...

Hi Kelly,

Dawn here from the headcovering group. :-)

You know, my husband is Catholic and his mind frame is, 'if you aren't Cathoilc, than your Protestant'. He even said the plain groups are Protestant.
To me there is a whole different meaning to the word Protestant now in this day. Maybe back when the Reformation was going on it was different.
I don't think I would label the plain groups as Protestant, but just...plain. :-)
But who cares, those are just titles, don't mean anything really...
I found out there are 2 or 3 conservative Mennonite churches in my area of Texas that I will certainly have to go pay a visit too when I get there. I can't wait! I just hope fuel isn't $4.00 a gallon by July or if it is, hopefully one of those churches is closer than I thought :-)

I have met many 'plain' friends online as well and it's been a huge blessing!
Also met many conservative Christian ladies online near my area of Texas and we can't wait to meet!
I just look forward to the sweet fellowship with one another!

God Bless You! Enjoy your weekend!

~ Dawn ~