Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Unity & Uniformity




  • I stay confused on the issue of uniformity.
Among plain Anabaptists, unity is key. The individual church decides the type of dress worn for both men and women. Some churches allow jeans on men, but most have broadfalls. For women, the criteria is about collars or not, length of sleeve (short, long or 3/4), in addition; veils verses kapps, and prints verses solids. All this is decided by church leaders. But if uniformity is essential, why aren't they ALL uniform? Honestly, only the individual church/district is uniform. Not the denomination.



  • My confusion isn't about why uniformity is beneficial.... I understand that dying to ones self and not one brother or sister in Christ being better or above the other is true humility in action. Got it.
    But why is it that there are SO many different church standards?


Why is it that the Hutterites (like the girls in the picture) can have such vivid colors, and louder prints, and function just fine, but Mennonite Churches are big on very muted colors and small prints? The Amish wear no prints? Is this all mostly tradition and culture, or is any of this biblical?



I try to wrap my mind around the need for this. Other than UNITY, I don't see a need for uniformity.



But don't think for one minute that I don't recognize the blessing of Unity amongst the Anabaptists. I do. As someone who is not a member of any plain church, I stay confused. I am sure if I had chose a church and committed my earthly efforts to the individual church, I would no longer be confused, but instead focused on being a part of that unity.





I believe this is just part of not being a member of a specific plain church. It's like being on the outside looking in. The church we were previously members of was not *plain*, although I did adhere to dressing appropriately and modestly, adhered to 1 Corinthians 11 (headcovering) and embraced Non-Resistance to the best of my ability. Additionally, I stopped swearing oaths, even for jury duty. But non of that made me feel anything other than obedient. The uniformity was lacking, but instead we strived for uniformity in spirit, and viewed ourselves as the body of Christ.

Now, where in the Bible does it say to dress uniformly? (Nowhere) But that doesn't make it wrong. It also doesn't make it a mandate. It's just hard for someone who wasn't raised in the faith to grasp, and difficult for anyone converting to a plain church to grasp WHY??? Culture and traditional are the biggest answers, and if you want to join a plain church, don't plan on changing 500 years of history and tradition. When in Rome, ya know???

So what should you do if you are not able to join a plain church but are led to dress plain? Well, understand there will be no uniformity. You will be the odd man out in whatever church you attend. But you will be blessed, if done with a genuinely humble and obedient spirit by God to as you serve him. Unity will have to be in a spiritual sense.


But back to my confusion; It's not the unity or uniformity (per church) that throws me for a loop. It's when RULES are implemented into the church that have nothing to do with anything biblical. Example: Someone joins the church... they are good members and serve well for years. Then one day the church leader decide that the children of the members will not be allowed to play musical instruments in their own homes. Ok., where in the Bible does it say this is a sin??? (Nowhere)
Is this any different than the leaders of Pentecostal churches deciding HOW a woman may style her hair??? (Nope) How can man implement man-made rules that pertain to peoples individual lives with no biblical backing?

I guess your left with 3 options: 1) Stay and roll with it. 2) Leave and either be churchless or go to another denomination, or 3) SPLIT and start another church with more preferable rules.

Where is the sense in this? There probably isn't any really...Not that anyone who wasn't raised within the faith could grasp.
And I am not against any church or denomination. I am not against the plain, quite the contrary.... I am struggling just as hard as they are between tradition, and realistic application of principle.

K.

7 comments:

Carla Raley said...

Kelly, I know when I was in a church that did the uniform dress, there really was a kind of comfort to it. Somehow it did make us feel very close and together. It was nice not to have to worry about what I was going to wear.
The downside of it is that you do begin to feel like there is something scriptural to it, when there isn't, the feeling we had was more of a fleshly type feeling of holiness. The younger people, and even some of the older, seemed to think people who wore something else were not quite 'there' yet.
Now I'm in a church that doesn't have a dress code, and I don't want to sew anymore, I want that time to go to the young children I have adopted, and to the teens and near teens here in my house. It's so easy to buy clothes off ebay or something. And yet...we went to my mothers this weekend, and my 11 year old daughter had on a skirt and blouse, very modest, but not 'plain' and my family was so shocked that I DID feel like I had backslidden and sinned! All they could talk about was how beautiful she was, and how they had never seen her dressed like that. It honestly made me want to take her back home and put her back in a cape dress, I just didn't want her to be looked at that way, and I don't want people to think we are less than we were, just because we are not so 'plain' anymore.
The Bible says nothing about 'plain', it says modest. It would tend to say wear something that doesn't bring attention to YOU, but to Christ IN you.
Oh, well, this is long enough, huh???

Unknown said...

Carla,

I will bet you a dollar to a donut that your family was just making a big show about the dress since it was something different.

Honestly, I don't think there is anything wrong with admiring a pretty design or fabric. I think it's sinful when it goes overboard into vanity.

I love uniformity and do not wish any Anabaptist church to change... more than anything, with all of these blogs, I am just trying to figure out what IS biblical and how it applies to ME.

Because there isn't anything about uniform dress in the bible, it's hard to grasp how I as an individual need to dress.

Ok,.modest is the most obvious. But other than that... and some obscure OT reference to a double covering that only a bible scholar would be able to detect, I don't see any specific instructions. Do you??
I know not to wear anything that pertains to mens clothing. Not a problem... but I honestly am trying to get a grip on the Holy Spirits guidence, verses the cultural beliefs of The Mennonites.
Trust me, they have had their influence on me and it is planted firmly in my soul. I will not be immodest, but I have never felt the need to be dressed in such a distinctive manner that people wonder about me.
When I travel, I wear tunics that come to my thigh, and very loose capri's... sometimes when we hike, I have hiking shorts that come to my knee. This is appropriate for the occasion and will never cause one person to stumble. But if I wore shorts to church (and some people do-) I would be sending the wrong message.


Honestly, when I am hiking, I am not worried about running into a stranger and not being a perfect witness. I know too many wonderful Christians who aren't plain. It is their actions that show Christ to me...
I know a Mennonite man who is not plain, but makes 200 sandwiches twice a week to feed the street people. He does this on his own. They don't care if he has a beard or not... they just see Jesus in his actions.

So, please, don't worry so much. I know you Carla. You are so much MORE than your clothing and I also know you would never wear anything that would even begin to border on sinful.

You are a wonderful witness regardless of your clothing.

Also, I am planning on visiting the Cleburne Church in a few weeks.

(((hugs)))

Kelly

Unknown said...

P.S. If I DID sew, I would wear more dresses. lol.. But everything I buy off ebay never fits unless they are broomstick skirts. I love those... and not to worry Carla... I am not giving up on my mode of dressing... I am just trying to figure out where to draw the line.

K.

Carla Raley said...

Modesty without question is the line, I think. Of course, then you get into the 'who's idea of modesty?' I've seen cape dresses to tight and clingy that your hiking shorts would probably be more modest. Then again, what do your shorts look like from the back when you are climbing?
I'm not comfortable in my legs showing. I think some Mennonite ladies wear their dresses too short. I like my shirts up all the way up around my neck, although I do have a couple that don't come that high, but my shoulder blades are kind of my guide, nothing below that. I like my elbows covered. Those are my "lines". I'm VERY uncomfortable with anything less than that.
I think you have to find a line, and stick to it. Quit telling yourself that this or that is okay, because some other Christian does it, and they are such good Christians.
And I do have to say that I think your dress should scream to the world, "I am a holy people, a particular people, I belong to God." There are no specific guidelines in the Bible, but I know that you've seen people in public, and you just KNOW, so you know what I'm talking about...

Unknown said...

LOL.. I know what you mean Carla. I too have seen cape dresses that really show more than they should.:-)It's all in how you wear it.

My hiking shorts are more than modest because not only do they come to my knee, I wear a huge top over them. I always wear long tops. I keep my business covered at all times. Either with a skirt, or if the garment has a crotch, with a top long enough to cover me to my thighs.
I have to say; this is an exception. It would be during travel, on the tractor, or actually hiking.

I really don't have a problem with dresses the rest of the time. I've gotten to wear I actually prefer them.

I don't think I am to the place where I desire to make a statement with my clothing other than being feminine. That's a whole 'nother blog. I think the feminist did a great thing getting the vote. I am still waiting for equal wages, but they messed up EVERYTHING with unisex dressing. Who wants to look like a man???

Lol..
kel

Unknown said...

Carla writes:

And I do have to say that I think your dress should scream to the world, "I am a holy people, a particular people, I belong to God." There are no specific guidelines in the Bible, but I know that you've seen people in public, and you just KNOW, so you know what I'm talking about...

Unknown said...

Carla Writes:

And I do have to say that I think your dress should scream to the world, "I am a holy people, a particular people, I belong to God." There are no specific guidelines in the Bible, but I know that you've seen people in public, and you just KNOW, so you know what I'm talking about...


Kelly Responds:

Sorry, I hit *send* too soon!!

Carla, I re-read what you wrote and you know, it really touched me. I hope people see me and know I am not like the rest of the world. I think you have to get to know the person to actually know if they are Christians.
But your right, we should hold ourselves to a higher standard...and be an example of holiness as much as we are able.

Thank you,.

Kelly